Single-load liquid laundry packets have become widely available over the past couple of years – millions of consumers have found these packets to be an easy and convenient way to get their laundry done efficiently and effectively. However, it’s important to remember these powerful packets contain highly concentrated detergent and require the same discipline as common household cleaning products when it comes to safely using, handling and storing.
According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC), in 2012, poison centers received reports of unintended 6,229 exposures to highly-concentrated packets of laundry detergent by children 5 and younger.
It is vital for parents and caregivers to keep single-load liquid laundry packets away from children to help prevent the risk of serious injury from ingestion or exposure to eyes. Education and awareness can help prevent these injuries, especially when it comes to properly using the packets and securing them safely and securely. Keep the following safety reminders top of mind:
- Do not let children handle laundry packets
- Do not puncture or pull packets apart
- Store out of child’s sight and reach
- Keep the packet’s package closed and in a dry place
- Packets quickly dissolve upon contact with water, wet hands, or saliva so it is necessary to keep them dry
Education is the KEY to injury prevention. If you would like to share information about our campaign with individuals and families that you reach and teach, please email me at [email protected] I would happy to send you a link to our digital toolkit.
The ACI’s KEY Pledge laundry safety campaign is committed to raising awareness and helping equip consumers with the proper education around single-load liquid laundry packet safety; we all have a role to play in order to help prevent these unintended exposures from occuring. There are simple steps you can do each day to ensure your family’s safety:
- Keep single-load liquid laundry packets out of the reach of children
- Educate your family and friends about the safe use and storage of these new laundry products
- You serve a key role in laundry safety
Join the ACI and take the KEY Pledge today to a safe laundry room and be entered to win a $2,500 gift card to makeover your laundry room by visiting keypledge.com.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Ends on December 31, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. ET. Open to legal residents of 50 U.S. and DC, 21 and older. Void where prohibited. For Official Rules, go to http://www.keypledge.com/Keypledge/TermsConditions.html. Sponsor: American Cleaning Institute.
* According to the Summary of Health Statistics for the US Population: National Health Interview Survey, medically consulted injury and poisoning episodes occurring inside the home included: falling down a flight of stairs, ingestion of or contact with a harmful substance, misuse of a drug or medication, provided by the CDC, released December 2012.
Thank you for your ongoing support and continued partnership to make this campaign a success.
ACI Senior Vice President, Education